Tumblr is a tool for creating micro-blogs, and is considered to be more elaborate and modern than Blogger, as it allows users to embed different types of media for example chat function, photos, links, GIFs, TV shows, stores. Users can add graphics and make their blogs interesting and interactive. They can also follow blogs and have others follow theirs where all the updates can be seen in their Dashboard, that acts as a Newsfeed and a Creative studio that allows the user to change/adapt the content they just viewed and re-blog it without any intellectual right infringement. They can also follow various trends that are evolving in the Tumblr community and participate in groups on various topics.
- Compatibility: Accessible through websites in computers & mobile devices in the two major platforms (Android and Apple)
- User accounts: Users need to create an account to be able to use Tumblr
- Privacy: Blogs can be accessed through a url but in order to get regular updates of new blogs and be able to create content you need to have your own subscription (minimum age in USA 13, EU 16)
- Restricted Privacy: Users can restrict viewership to selected few by adjusting the privacy settings of their blog.
- Followers: Tumblr is the interactive micro-blog equivalent to twitter as the users need to sign-up to the platform and then they can follow their favorite blogs and re-blog and share.
- Post privacy options: Users can choose if their posts are shared publicly or if they are visible only to their ‘followers’.
- Intellectual Rights: Main strength of Tumblr is to be able to see new blogs in your dashboard (similar to Facebook’s newsfeed) and then add your take on the content and reblog it. Any royalties on content adapted from content created or publicized in the app (books, music etc.) belongs to the original user.
- Creativity: Tumblr grants a worldwide, revocable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable license to download, store, view, display, perform, redistribute, and create derivative works of Content.
Who uses the tool
US projections by
430 million blogs
- non-vocational training interactions
Privacy & User data
The app collects the following types of information from all users:
- Email address
- Select a password and Tumblr username
- You must select a different Tumblr URL for each new blog you create.
- upload your creations to Tumblr, you’re giving us permission to make them available in all the ways you would expect us to (for example, via your blog, RSS, the Tumblr Dashboard, etc.). We never want to do anything with your work that surprises you.
The app uses this information to:
- Minimum age to have a blog in Tumblr is 13 in the USA and 16 in EU
- Username and Password will serve as a default link to your default Tumblr blog of the form e.g. [username].tumblr.com (a ” Tumblr URL”).