Screencast-O-Matic is a web application that enables video creation, editing, content management and video sharing. In a screencast, the presenter records all the screen activity and images continuously to complete a designated task. Audio can be recorded simultaneously or afterwards in postproduction along with sound effects and music tracks. A screencast can include many multimedia elements — music, sound effects, audio, and graphics — along with text, making any content topic engaging while also appealing to different learning modalities. Screencasts can be delivered via streaming or downloaded in their entirely for later viewing. This system is used by professionals, gamers and can have a positive impact on education as well.
- Compatibility: Accessible online through computers. No need to install the program.
- Registration: Registration is needed the first time Screencast-O-Matic is used.
- Post privacy options: Users can choose to share their recorded videos or to keep them for private use only.
- Recording: It is possible to choose a portion of the screen and record everything is showed. Moreover, sounds can also be recorded.
- Editing tools: Screencast-O-Matic’s features allows for actions such as cutting parts of the video, hiding the cursor, inserting new recordings, adding images, arrows and highlight areas, freezing the video and slowing it down or speeding it up.
- Download/upload: Videos recorded can be either downloaded and saved on the computer or upload on Youtube or other digital archives and hosting services
Who uses the tool
Screencast-O-Matic can be a support for all students in vocational training and for their teachers as well. In particular, those who are studying subjects related to ICT and students with learning difficulties can extremely benefit from the features of the tool.
- Screencast-O-Matic helps in overcoming learning difficulties in two principal ways:
- First, recorded videos provide a support for students especially in the illustration of informatics procedures, in that they can listen to the explanation while they can actually see on the screen what has to be done.
- Second, students that experience difficulties with regular teaching methods can pause or play again the video according to their necessities; hence they are allowed to follow the speed they need for learning.
- Besides, students can also use the tool for recording their own videos, so to produce content that can be shared with the whole class. As a result, this should increase their active participation and motivation.
Privacy & User data
The app collects the following types of information from all users:
- Personal information users provide directly to Screencast-O-Matic;
- Financial information if a payment is needed;
- Information about the device in use;
- Cookies and similar technologies;
- Information and collected remotely by third parties.
The app uses this information to:
- Communicate with users, customize the content, improve products and services, protect rights of the user and of the system, and comply with laws and regulations;
- Send users promotional information and updates regarding Screencast-O-Matic products and services (there are options not to receive them);
- Carry out activities such as website management, administration and security, promotional activities, research and analysis.