Periscope is a social video streaming platform that can be used with mobile devices. Periscope is an app that lets you share and experience live video streams direct from your smartphone or tablet. It can be used to capture the atmosphere among fans at an important match, to broadcast an unfolding news story or to experience what it’s like to walk down the streets of Helsinki. Periscope is a live video streaming platform, which means you can transmit a live recording of yourself to your Periscope followers. Instead of video calling (e.g. Skype) a single person, you’re linked up to the whole community. Whoever is watching your transmission can comment and ask questions. These show up on the screen whilst broadcasting making it easy to answer and interact. The immediacy of the app encourages viewers to participate in what’s happening in the video. Viewers do this by sending comments, which the person sharing the video can respond to in real time. This feature of Periscope makes it a more active viewing experience compared to e.g. watching videos on YouTube.
- Compatibility: Accessible through mobile devices, download the app on your mobile device.
- User accounts: Users need to register to be able to use Periscope or one can sign in with one´s Twitter / Facebook / Google account
- Broadcasting: To start broadcasting you hit the camera button on the bottom navigation bar, fill in a description of your video and hit “start broadcast”.
- Following: You can follow friends and other interesting Periscope users to watch what they have livestreamed. Periscope is owned by Twitter so when signing in/doing the registration it´s possible to start follow same people/organisations etc. as in Twitter.
- Post privacy options: By default, all broadcasts are initially public for anyone to see, unless you adjust the settings. You can e.g. create a group of other Periscope users and share the live video only with this group. Content posted on Periscope is available only for a limited time before it disappears. The user can change the time limit from the settings. The user should take into account that screen shots can be made by other users and therefore the posted content can saved even though it disappears from Periscope.
- Explore: You can search videos by location through map view functionality. The title of your broadcast is key to searchability, use keywords that can be found in searches.
- Map view: There is a map view available in Periscope. When you are using map view, you can explore the videos being broadcasted in different parts of the world through the interactive map feature. This allows you to search for videos by location.
- Private messaging/Chat: The user can choose from broadcast options whether anyone viewing can chat on his/her broadcast or only those who are following the user can leave comments.
Who uses the tool
Periscope is used by organisations, companies, athletes, pop stars and private users. The main purpose is to share with the world what the user is experiencing right now by broadcasting live video stream that is available in Periscope for a limited time period.
Privacy and user data
The app collects the following types of information from all users:
- Periscope-broadcasts are public by default (option available to share only with those Periscope-users you choose);
- Metadata provided with the broadcast (e.g. when and where the broadcast is being made);
- Information regarding the user watching other users´ broadcast (e.g. when, comments, hearts);
- Personal information (e.g. profile information, phone number);
- Location (if the user has turned on location services for Periscope);
The app uses this information to:
SnapChat uses this user data for the following purposes:
- help users to efficiently access their information after they sign in;
- remember information so users will not have to re-enter it during their visit or the next time they visit the Service;
- provide personalized content and information to users, which could include online ads or other forms of marketing
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of Periscope´s Service
- develop and test new products and features
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- diagnose or fix technology problems
- automatically update the Periscope application on users’ device(s)